posted on 7-4-2006 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WIZARD FEST 2006 in Stamford. CT

Results

1st.....Ms. Wizard (Julie).....250 pts.......$600 prize
2nd....Mr. Wizard (Keith).....190.........$300
3rd.....Dr. Wizard (Kevin).....130.........$200
4th.....Joan Fisher .................90.........$100

Synopsis
Without mincing words the event was a debacle. Don't get me wrong, all those who attended had a great time. (I think) And why not, free admission, free coffee, free buns, free pens, cash prizes, free dinner, etc.
The debacle can be divided into 2 phases; preparation and execution.

Preparation
The turnout of 28 players was disappointing to say the least. A large turnout was not anticipated but we did hope to at least equal last year's total of 40. What happened? First of all we knew from last year that the Stamford location was problematic. However because U.S. Games insisted on staying at that location we hoped that they would do whatever was needed to draw players. To be fair they did some promotion but without going into detail it was not effective and lessons that should have been learned from 2005 were ignored. The problem was compounded by the fact that Stuart Kaplan the driving force of U.S.Games was not even in the country for much of June due to commitments in Europe. No single person from U.S.Games was delegated the responsibility for the tournament and consequently there was no focus on important details, including the need to get the attendance up. Enough said about this matter.

Execution
I rose at 5:30 on the day of the tournament because of my concern for preparations. I found the tournament room nicely set up but with large round tables that were not suitable for the 4-player games we had planned. I found a hotel worker, got the ballroom changed to an adjacent room and began setting up the bridge tables that had kindly been provided by Joe Andrews who was attending on behalf of the "Grand Prix Card Tournaments".
The original plan was to play 3 preliminary rounds and then begin the first round of play-offs. Joe decided that we should have 4 rounds to assure everybody at least 4 games before being eliminated. I acquiesced to this a couple of days before the tournament. Due to late arrivals we were an hour late getting started and I should have insisted that we revert to just 3 games but failed to do so. Consequently the first play-off round consisted of a short game (10 hands) and several good players were eliminated due to a couple of tough hands. This round should have been 2 games with total points to count but time did not allow it. (Lesson learned).

Conclusions:
1. The annual tournament must be held in a location where Wizard is most popular.
2. I am 90% sure that the 2007 event will be held in July or August in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Only financial constraints would stop this from happening.
3. Although there are advantages to all games being 4-handed (not the least of which is that bridge tables can be used) I do not think that format will be standard. I think a mix of 4-5-6 handed games better represents the normal play of Wizard.
4. Although time is a major restraint 1 short game should not be criteria for elimination. We do want to keep as many players in the tournament after round 1 as possible but must not use up so much time that play-offs must be 1 short game.
5. Announced times must be strictly enforced. If the tournament is set to start at 9 a.m. it should not be delayed more than 15 minutes. Tardiness must receive its own rewards.

Many thanks to U.S. Games and Stuart Kaplan in particular for the support and generosity that was provided.
More thanks and appreciation to Joe Andrews for his enthusdiasm, expertise and support of the tournament.
Kudos to all of those who made the effort to travel a considerable distance to participate in the event.
Congratulations to the 4 finalists and to Ms. Wizard in particular for her championship win.

I promise to get it right in 2007.

Ken Fisher
wizard

CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT