Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\viewthread.php on line 318

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\viewthread.php on line 318

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: PLAYERS WITH ALIASES
Mactonight

Mood:  
posted on 4-24-2013 at 10:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PLAYERS WITH ALIASES

I have one request.

When you have played your 40+ games and are sitting on your main name and switch to an alias - PLEASE DON'T PLAY ANOTHER 40+ GAMES.

Make more alias- have 10 I don't care. You can only use one name in the top 10 and by having a 2nd Alias in the top 10 you prevent another player from playing.

That's all....carry on....

...from the thoughts of Mactonight

Spicy

Mood:  No Mood.
posted on 4-26-2013 at 03:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Interesting request. I would say people who play their 40 games and then stop playing and use an alt are just manipulating the system. So you rest on your laurels then play an alt and loose, does that SR rating reflect your abilities to play wizard or your ability to manipulate?
Mactonight

Mood:  
posted on 4-26-2013 at 05:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know I know

Many conversation have been done on the topic of using an alias

Until Wizard decides that no "Alias" are allowed people are still going to use them.

So all I'm saying is - if you're going to sit on your main name and start playing with an Alias whether just to play for fun or to manipulate or whatever other reason you are doing it for - Just don't exceed 39 games.

I'm not here to try and eliminate the use of Alias or to promote the use of one. Just trying to give the 26th place person a chance to play in the top 10 because they would be 25th if not for some Alias ahead of them.

Makes sense?

....from the thoughts of Mactonight

Spicy

posted on 4-26-2013 at 05:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You are asking people who want to manipulate the game in order to come in first or second not play an alt that may come in 10th or higher? That would be asking them to play honestly. Playing the alt in the first place is not an honest representation of their ability.... so I fear you are appealing to someone who would care less about someone in 26th spot.

Mactonight

Mood:  
posted on 4-27-2013 at 12:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
granted

Most of the people I invite to Wizfest won't come

Doesn't mean I don't try!

SilentSam

posted on 4-27-2013 at 02:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
how about players just "man up" and play under one name
Mactonight

Mood:  
posted on 4-27-2013 at 11:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
repeat

Hey Sam

As indicated my post is not about promoting or eliminating the use of an Alias.

Just trying to ask those that use them to not play an additional 40+ game as if they have 2 names in the top 25 you steal a spot from someone else as you can't play with 2 names.

Mr. Wizard

Mood:  
posted on 4-30-2013 at 10:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't use aliases, but I am not against their use for reasons I have argued a number of times. I agree that we should castigate all players (regular or alias) who actively manipulate the system, but the use of an alias - in and of itself - does not constitute "manipulation."

Any player that can place higher than you in the Top 10 using two different usernames deserves laudation, not criticism. Such an achievement is rare, and I don't believe the displacement of a player with a negative S.R. (as is often the case) warrants a witch hunt.

Mactonight

Mood:  
posted on 5-1-2013 at 12:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
laudation

I envy any player who can play 100s of games in a month, with the use of alias or on a single name.

Wizard has set up Winning percentages for players who are able to achieve high scores with multiple games - this month for example Fizzwizz1 will get 10 extra points for his achievements. To the Fizzy1 I write this panegyric.

There's no witch hunt, there's no witch to hunt, there's no hunt at all.

Today's question is: What is the achieved by playing 40+ games with 2 Aliases?

Mr. Wizard

Mood:  
posted on 5-1-2013 at 02:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mactonight
Today's question is: What is the achieved by playing 40+ games with 2 Aliases?

I can think of a few reasons:

1) A player attempts to win the monthly Top 10 using their primary username, but fails to do so because a) they are frequently targeted for whatever reason, or b) they simply had bad luck. It can (should?) take 40+ games to conclude that "it isn't going to happen this month." Well, the player's goal has still not changed - they want to win the Top 10. Using a different username doesn't change who plays the hands, so they begin playing under an alias in order to start fresh -- not to attack other players. Maybe the alias is targeted less, or maybe their luck has finally changed -- whatever the case, playing under an alias allows the player to give their goal another shot.

2) Strategy. One might argue that the "loss of MPs" argument holds more weight than the displacement of any player with a negative S.R. -- however that wouldn't change my opinion. I am in a six-month long tournament where every last MP counts; if a competitor finds the time to play 40+ games with an alias and succeeds in "stealing away" some of my MPs by besting my monthly rank... more power to them.
------------------------------------------------------------------
You indicated that a player uses their primary name and fails and switches to an alias to achieve first.

This strategy is beyond my original thinking and I must confess that if a players plan is to win regardless of name, and tries with various names and thus ends with multiple names in the top 25 then I can't argue against it.

As for your second point - whether this posting is about loss of MP or about MP at all.

This post was strictly for the purpose of trying to get 25 unique names in the top 25 in order to get as many players to attend the Top 25 Monthly tournament

CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT