Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: "I NEVER bid even when last to bid" ????
wizard

Mood:  
posted on 3-21-2003 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"I NEVER bid even when last to bid" ????

I've heard several good players make this statement and frankly I don't understand the rationale. Here are 2 examples of situations in which I do bid to make it 'even'.
(a) An infexible hand. Holding a hand without Jesters or Wizards and a lot of mid-range cards which may or may not win a trick I am likely to be set.
Consequently I bid even and am happy if I can escape the hand without losing any points.
(b) If making an even bid gives me a major point gain I bid even. (Depending on the score and the stage of the game.)
For example in a 3-handed game with the first 2 players bidding 1 when 10 tricks are available I am happy to bid 8 so that we all make our bids. My point gain is significant. (Of course good opponents will set themselves in order to stop such a ploy.)
* Another reason to make an even bid is to maintain the status quo when enjoying a significant lead. That is the reason for the "Canadian Rule".
* If you are a really good player and have the right cards it is good strategy to bid to make it even but with the intention of making your own bid and setting others.

CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT